Monday, January 7, 2008

my 1st entry EVER... ghetto breakfast

ok, so this is my 1st entry. who am i? what do i do? why the need to write about it? all valid questions and i'll answer them in a bit, but first a few images of my workspace.




um, ya, i work from home. if one was allowed the comforts pointed out in the images above at a 9-5 job then i might concider relocating - but until then, i think i'll stay here! so i'm hoping this has given you a mild idea of who i am. my name is dalyn. i'm a graphic designer, illustrator, teacher etc. and i live in vancouver, b.c. canada.
my best friend has been writing a great blog for about year now, and i guess he's given me the bug. from the links on his blog i have found others, like this one (some pretty funny stuff!) and this one (some pretty interesting stuff!). when i should be working i find myself reading a peice of comedy from somebody i've never met. it's great... i may never have to buy another book.
i don't use CAPITALS as you may have noticed. my shift key broke on my old computer and i never got back into the groove of using them. when i do use them it's meant to give you impression of me speaking LOUDLY. i also love using '...' too me it just means a slight pause...
so if i've captured your attention by now let me explain the pictures above...... (extra long pause)

my office:
aside from the street noise, it's perfect. 10 feet away from the kitchen and bathroom, no co-workers to annoy me aside from my kitty Chubba (Csaba) who only gets up for about 5 minutes around 1pm. as for the street noise, 6 lanes of traffic - all day every day (it makes my desk shake at times). it only takes me about 10 seconds to get to work (1 minute if i have to go pee) and there's no dress code!

desk close up:
love my MAC. LOVE IT. love my 1960's oil heater. love my wine.

shelf close up:
uuuuhhh... yah well i/we (hubby and i) do have a problem with collecting things. there will be later posts on that whole part of my life... and there are many of them!

chips 'n cheese:
it is unfortunate AND embarrasing that i am known as the 'natcho's girl' at the 7-11 just up the street.
"heyyyyy! it's the natcho's girl!" is really emabrassing at 9am on a tuesday morning... trust me. this situation also happens at the local beer and wine store when i try a different type of wine... "what?! no Sola today??" i'll talk about 'Sola' later...

so here's what you can expect from my posts... anything that can go wrong, quite often already has gone wrong for me. but i'm a GREAT sport... trust me. example: have you ever parked your van on a hill, forgetting to leaving it in gear and pull the emergency break? have you then tried to open your door (while running alongside the van) with a key from another one of your 4 vans? (because you broke the original key off in the ignition) i doubt it...! this is the kind of stuff that happens to me on regular basis. i think my writing about such situations will ease the need to drink so much wine.... but if it doesn't?... thank GAWD i like wine!
i love comments and i'll comment back... *dalyn





6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that chair! I love the annotations on the pics. I love the collections (especially the hats and the glasses)! I have a similar collecting disease, I'm afraid.

You are just too cool for words! And thanks again for the insipired art on my blog! (I must be excited - I never use exclamation marks).

*dalyn said...

Yeah!!! my very 1st comment! thanks Theo. i havent spread the word about starting to write, but you sir have inspired me! and by the way... it's not a 'disease'. we like to call it a 'good eye'. wouldn't you agree? *d
ps. please stay tuned for MUCH better looking blog design... this baby's lookin' lame.

Nanette said...

That van story! Oh my! Did you get the van before something tragic occurred?
Hi *dalyn! :)

*dalyn said...

Nanette: thanks for the read! as for the 'van' (one of 4 toyota LE models that we've owned) it was rolling remarkably slowly for the angle of the hill it was on. i had just loaded up all available arm space and hands with a big shopping bag full of hand-me-down clothes from sis, coffee travle mug that i THOUGHT was empty, bag of books i teach with AND my new purse. i basically dropped everything aside from the purse. clothes shot out of the bag, books skidded down the street, everything covered in coffee. i finally got the key into the door but thats only half of getting it open. then you have to wiggle and jimmy it around till the lock pops! luckily there were no cars infront of mine (very rare) and i slid into the seat and yanked the brake. image the whole time me saying/squealing "ohmygawdohmygawdOHmygawdOHMYGAWD" after securing it in park and relocking the van i then had to scrape everything off the wet street. what's acually amazing is that i SOMEHOW didn't wreck my new purse! thanks for stoppin by nanette... stay tuned for many more van stories! *d

Anonymous said...

love it. will keep reading.

the geezer

tara said...

so glad to see you're doing this day! i will definitely be reading!

and i also rarely use capitals (except on my blog) and i love ellipses, so this is going to be extra fun reading for me.

peace out sistah!