Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Modeling Poses For The Beginner Part #1

I'm not the kind of person to shy away from the camera but i'm not exactly the person that is jumping to get in every shot taken either. i wouldn't say that im an ugly person but i also wouldn't say that im modeling material... (my boobs are too big ive been told... snicker snicker!) but over the years i have honed several 'looks'. im well known for them - im loved AND hated for them. i use to never smile in pictures. not sure why, i guess i thought my smile looked weird? or it made my nose look longer? i dont know, but i just didn't smile. well that all changed at around 26. maybe it was the drink, maybe it was the drugs, who knows! but ive become well known in a circle of people for my signature 'looks'. i thought id share some of my secrets with those of you out there that stuggle with shying away from the camera. they are all sure-fire ways to be remembered for years down the road.
Please read these before taking a look at the images...

1. make your eyes POP. think of something really exciting or something that made you exasperated and just make the camera feel it.

2. if you have cleavage - USE IT. squeeze 'em up and OUT. works well for photos at the beach or pool. (sorry guys on this one... try bicepts maybe?)

3. if your out drinking and you're holding a drink, your guard will already be down, so go with it. try a sexy cocked eyebrow and pursed lips. (guys this CAN work for you as well)

4. 'spur of the moment' is easy and always looks natural! pretend you just got the best surprise of your life. both levels of teeth NEED to be showing in this one to get the full effect.

5. everybody loves a rockstar... just pretend you're singing and laughing at the same time. props are good for this pose (broomstick, hairbrush etc...) if you dont have a prop throw a fist in the air with a strong, legs spread stance.

6. stand out in a picture. you want to be rememebered? then pull a look out of your back pocket and make your friends next to you look super boring! any of the above will work for this one.

7. work WITH, not against your facial features. sometimes a cocked smile or wandering eyes can really work in a picture... try thinking of something eles or looking off into the distance... certainly works for me! (i know my friends are jealous of this look in particular...)

8. accessories can really turn what would have been a boring photo into something extra special. try glasses? im sure you'll think of something.

i know its hard to get an idea of what i mean from just words, so ive included a few pics of myself and friends to get you started. dont copy my looks, but make and create your OWN signature look... you can do it! i hope this little post helped!




3 comments:

HopSkipJump said...

That picture of you with the towel is seriously disturbing. My favourite picture is the one of you behind Karen and Missy. So funny.

Emily said...

OH MY GAWD! I love all of those pics and your glorious intro! Even though I've seen most of the pics before, I am doing a terrible job of stifling my laughter while my workmates have a meeting behind me. SO professional. I will definitely be applying some of your sage advice, model guru. Om.

Unknown said...

Great tips, thanks! I'm already a master of 'the wolfish grin', 'unamused frown when everyone else is smiling', 'the double chin fiesta' and 'unsynchronized blinking'! I loved your 'ravenous for wedding cake' pose - that was my favourite.